curl-users

issue with a large number of threads

From: admir efendic <efa_at_softwell.se>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 18:51:46 +0100

Hi!
I am trying to simulate a large number of users to a simple application behind a web server (apache on linux / IIS on windows 2000). I am creating a pthread per user and sending requests from it. At certain point the thread stoppes sending requests (no errors are reported by curl_easy_perform()).

On solaris 8 (netra x-1 with 640 Mb RAM) the limit is around 400+ threads.
I even run the same test at an intel 4-way machine with 3 Gb RAM (solaris 8 for intel) with same result (same limit, 400+).
If I send requests to a web server running on same machine as clients the limits raises to 900+

The webserver is running on a 6-way/4Gb RAM linux redhat 7.3 server (apache-1.3.27), IIS on Windows 2000 Server (multiboot).

Note that the problem is not dependent on request rate, I tried the ranges from 1 req/sec to 1000 req/sec. At higher rates, resource usage on server is naturally increased, and eventually I get apache error 503 (Service Unavailable).

curl version on both systems:
curl 7.9.8 (sparc-sun-solaris2.8) libcurl 7.9.8 (OpenSSL 0.9.6d)

Greetings,
Admir Efendic
Stockholm, Sweden