[ curl-Bugs-675250 ] bad man page

From: <>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 21:16:03 -0800

Bugs item #675250, was opened at 2003-01-26 21:16
You can respond by visiting:

Category: documentation
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Elbert Wall(elbertdwATradiksDOTnet)
curl 7.7.2 (powerpc-apple-darwin6.0) libcurl 7.7.2
(OpenSSL 0.9.6b)

I'm very new to using curl and unix. I found what looks
like an error in the documentation. I had a hard time
using [] to specify multiple urls.

The man page doesn't say anything about using quotes
around urls. I think many new users of curl get
tripped up because they expect the man page to be
correct. I had to read several extra web pages to find
the proper information (Wasting CPU cycles!! :0) ).

Thi s is all the man page says:

You can specify multiple URLs or parts of URLs by writing
       part sets within braces as in:

       or you can get sequences of alphanumeric series
 by using
       [] as in:[1-100].txt[001-100].txt
(with lead-
       ing zeros)[a-z].txt

This is what the FAQ says:
  Because those letters have a special meaning to the
shell, and to be used in a URL specified to curl you
must quote them.

You can respond by visiting:

This SF.NET email is sponsored by: