curl-users

ECHO responses

From: Hans H. Anderson <me_at_hansanderson.com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 01:35:11 -0500 (CDT)

I'm using Curl to interact with authorize.net (using OpenSSL). This
usually works great, but it times out sometimes, even while there is no
obvious long-term outage or problem with my or authorize.net's server. I
have the timeout set high, up to 40 seconds.

I tried traceroute and ping to the authorize.net servers and it apparently
rejects them (is silent). There is no response, but at the same time, I
can use their servers for normal transactions. I'm guessing they were
getting a lot of ping attacks and such so they just stopped responding to
ECHO requests.

The reason I bring all this up is that I'm guessing that Curl uses some
sort of ECHO packet when determining the timeout: request sent to server,
no immediate response, ping to find server, no response, timeout? Am I in
the ballpark? I'm not a C programmer or I'd be able to figure it out
myself.

Thanks,

Hans