curl-users

Re: curl and certs

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:58:39 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Tony Bibbs wrote:

> Is there a way to use curl to sign a plain old HTTP request with a
> self-signed cert?

Nope. curl only does transfers.

I would guess that the 'openssl' tool can do it. But I don't know if or how.

> The scenario I have it I have a PHP server Nat'd to a WebSphere box that has
> a web service I want to consume. By signing the request I am hoping to be
> able to identify the server it came from despite being nat'd. Is this
> possible with curl? If not is it possible at all? Note, encryption is not
> needed.

By having a CA cert for the remote server you should be able to verify that it
is who it says it is, no matter if it is NAT'ed or not.

You do know that you can use -k to completely skip the peer cert verification,
right?