curl-users

Re: Segmentaion Faults!

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:31:32 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, jna wrote:

> Ok I reconfigured using the above --disable-thread and recompiled and
> reinstalled and it *STILL* seg faults!? This is an active web/email/dns
> server on the net and all other resolutions work fine with all other
> programs, just not curl :-/ Here is the stack trace after the failed trick:
>
> tarting program: /usr/local/bin/curl http://www.yahoo.com

> 0x219e in ?? () at eval.c:88
> 88 }
> (gdb) bt
> #0 0x219e in ?? () at eval.c:88
> #1 0x4003da0e in _nss_files_gethostbyname_r () at eval.c:88
> #2 0x402ad11b in __gethostbyname_r (name=0x8081b70 "www.yahoo.com",
> resbuf=0x402e76e4, buffer=0x8082218 "",
> buflen=1024, result=0xbffff3a4, h_errnop=0xbffff3a8) at
> ../nss/getXXbyYY_r.c:200
> #3 0x402acaf9 in gethostbyname (name=0x8081b70 "www.yahoo.com") at
> ../nss/getXXbyYY.c:145

I have no explanation for this. It does however show that the same underlying
function is used and it crashes at the same lowlevel spot. I can't explain why
though.

> I tried 7.10.2 - 7.10.1 - 7.10 -7.9 they do the same thing!? Welcome to any
> ideas I really need this program to work to use my merchant perl wrappers.

I recommend trying 7.10.7 for the sake of completeness. I doubt it'll make any
difference though, you're facing something we haven't seen reported before.

> On a side note since curl does not work with names but *seems* to work with
> ips, I tried the test script that was sent to me and replaced the domain for
> the secure server with the ip address and ran the script to see if this
> would be a short term fix and allow me to go live but that fails well see
> below:
>
> * SSL: error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0)* Closing connection #0
> curl: (35) SSL: error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0)

Try using the -k option.