curl-users

Re: minor problem with built-in manual

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:16:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Erwin Authried wrote:

> I have cross-compiled curl successfully for uClinux. To save space, I
> configured with --disable-manual. The created binary was nevertheless
> compiled with the large hugehelp.c. After a make clean, the size was reduced
> considerably.

Thanks for pointing this out. The --disable-manual was indeed slightly flawed
as it expected the hugehelp.c file to get cleaned by there was no good
dependency for this in the makefile.

I've now modified the generated hugehelp.c to recognize the USE_MANUAL define.

> I think that the distribution should omit hugehelp.c to be
> built correctly on the first build.

I don't think that's a great idea. It would only require everyone to have perl
and gzip installed. We can avoid that requirement by prodiving a pregenerated
version of this file.