Re: capturing octet streams - unknown MIME types

From: Upuaut <>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 17:42:48 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you Daniel for the response.

The site I'm trying to wget or cURL does in fact
use cookies (2 of them), alas even when I reject
the cookies in the browser in any combination or
allow them in any combo, the download proceeds.
So my guess is the cookies do not govern the

using wget, I fed the cookie file to no avail. I
wget a generic page. I supplied a useragent,
thinking the site examines it... it didn't help.

I think my problem is how to wget/cURL an
application/unknown stream.

Like I said, I'm new to this.... I could be not
feeding the right params.

Here is a sample page of the site

The problem I'm trying to solve is when you click
any 'download' icon, e.g. :

Any further help is greatly appreciated.

--- Daniel Stenberg <> wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Jul 2004, Upuaut wrote:
> > Using wget, I attempted to capture files, but
> was unsuccessful.. the server
> > returns a page saying the file has moved
> (302) and serves a generic
> > barebones page. I'm guessing this is becuase
> wget can't capture octet
> > streams and/or unknown mime types (or I don't
> know how to make it do so)
> I think you're wrong. wget is a highly capable
> tool and "octet streams" are
> just a name for byte-oriented data.
> I think you get the problems because the server
> requires cookies or something.
> > I looked around and found that curl could do
> that.
> curl can too, yes.
> > My question is: how?
> Give it a URL and it'll transfer it. Try the
> manual.
> > And would I be able to do the same with wget?
> You mean transferring a file over HTTP? Most
> often wget can do it too, yes.
> --
> Daniel Stenberg -- --
> Dedicated custom curl help for hire:

Click to download free spam fighting software now.