curl-users

Re: (BUG or FEATURE) Wget does it better than Curl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 23:47:02 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, nelson wrote:

> So, although that URL is probably no rtf compliant, I think libCURL should
> modify it correctly, for the goodness of end users, like wget does...

I strongly disagree. It goes against the whole design principle of libcurl.

I WANT you to be able to pass whatever URLs you want, as long as they are
syntactically correct.

For example, you can use curl to test how the server deals with excessive
amounts of ../ like this. Apparently you can't do that with wget since it
tries to be smart about them. It is not "better than" curl in my view. It is
just different.

I suggest you provide a good URL to get good data.