curl-users

Re: SOCKS5 and IPv6

From: Christian Biere <christianbiere_at_gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 23:11:23 +0200

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, Christian Biere wrote:
> >I stumbled over a mail in which you (Daniel) claim that SOCKS version 5
> >doesn't support IPv6. That's not correct. RFC 1928 specifies support for
> >IPv6. Whether that's implemented in the SOCKS5 proxy software is another
> >question.

> I must've been referring to curl, or at least I should've. The SOCKS
> support in curl does not support IPv6.

I was talking about this mail:
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2004-04/0163.html

> >Maybe you want to change curl to add IPv6 support over SOCKS5.

> I doubt you'll find me do that (without someone paying me for it). I don't
> have any socks proxy, and I've never even used SOCKS anywhere using any
> tool during my whole life.

I don't really care about SOCKS either. Actually, I had written a simple
SOCKS proxy once just to test an implementation and I've never seen
any SOCKS proxy in real life. IPv6 support is very simply though, instead
of poking the 4 bytes of an IPv4 address, you poke the 16 bytes of
an IPv6 address and change the connection type from 1 to 4. That's it.
I just came across your post when searching for "socks5+ipv6"
because I'm making gtk-gnutella IPv6 ready and it has some (dubious)
support for SOCKS4/5 as well.

--
Christian