curl-users

Re: Problems building curl (7.16.2 - 7.17.1) with Openssl 0.9.8

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 00:07:14 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007, Calen Pennington wrote:

> On 32-bit, the configure runs fine, and includes the lines:
> checking for CRYPTO_lock in -lcrypto... yes
> checking for SSL_connect in -lssl... yes

[...]

> /usr/dev_tools/170681/bin/ld: warning: libssl.so.0.9.8, needed by
> ../lib/.libs/libcurl.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
> /usr/dev_tools/170681/bin/ld: warning: libcrypto.so.0.9.8, needed by
> ../lib/.libs/libcurl.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
> ../lib/.libs/libcurl.so: undefined reference to `RAND_load_file'

As you can see, it tried to link with the crypto and ssl libs but didn't find
them at link time.

> If I manually run the following command (note the added "-lcrypto
> -lssl"), then there are no errors:

But is it then really linking with and using the very same libs it didn't find
in the previous command?

> From inspection of src/Makefile, it appears that -lcrypto and -lssl
> appear in the LIBCURL_LIBS variable

src/Makefile doesn't need to have them specified, as the libcurl is linked
with them and thanks to magic that will "pull in" them. As can be seen in the
link failures, the linker knows what libs it should be using it just fails to
find them.

> Finally, this same problem does not occur in 7.16.1.

Right, as back then we (probably) still provided the -l options when we linked
curl too.

> On 64-bit, the command I run is the same. However, during configure, the
> following lines appear:
> checking for CRYPTO_lock in -lcrypto... no
> checking for CRYPTO_add_lock in -lcrypto... no

Load config.log into your favourite editor and investigate the particular
tests for SSL that failed.