curl-users

Re: curl-users Digest, Vol 34, Issue 3

From: Weston C <westonc_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 12:43:55 -0700

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 3:00 AM, <curl-users-request_at_cool.haxx.se> wrote:
Dan Fandrich wrote:
> Is there actually a libssl.so.0.9.8 file in /usr/local/ssl/lib? I'm not
> sure if this warning is due to a missing file or a missing entry in
> /etc/ld.so.conf, but it's probably one of the two.

It was the latter. It may seem pitiful, but I was completely
uninitiated into what ld.so.conf was, and it had seemed to me that the
OpenSSL docs recommended the path /usr/local/ssl as the target
location, so of course the dynamic linking was having trouble.

After following Brian's advice to update it so that 7.16 would run,
the 7.18 build doesn't have any problems. And as a bonus, I understand
something better that'll probably be essential at some point in the
future.

> If there is a problem in curl, you'd
> be helping out not just yourself but everyone else who will be trying
> to do the same thing.

There doesn't appear to be any problem with the dynamically linked
build against openssl for people who've got their link paths set up
correctly. :)

The issues I had with the static build against openssl still seem to
be there, though, and I'm willing to pursue that if anyone really
cares to.

Thanks,

Weston