curl-users

Re: Desperate about the deadline 16th August

From: Jake Peavy <djstunks_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 17:09:43 -0600

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Roland Mösl <founder_at_pege.org> wrote:

> [...]

I think your real problem is that unless you get in your DeLorean and start
writing code a few weeks ago, cURL is not going to support oauth in time for
your deadline 9 days from now.

Therefore I suggest you abandon this course, and begin working on an
alternative solution. It sounds to me like re-architecting your 13 year-old
insecure application to use Perl probably has a high liklihood of success.

There had been some changes between 5,2 and 5,6
> influencing some features with MSIE as GUI.
>
> After serveral attempts, I had given up to upgrade to a new Perl version,
> so I can not use all this new libraries.
>
> Instead I use CURL by a Perl generated batch file.
>
> >> 3. Anyone is free to step forward and write the necessary code. I
> personally
> >> have not reached that far down my TODO-list to get into that, and I
> don't
> >> expect it to happen in a while either.
> >
> > So it is a possibility? It seems too narrow a feature to be part of curl.
> > I would have assumed rejection of said feature for deviating into a
> > highly specific function set that is only useful to a small subset of
> users.
>
> More and moe platforms will remove basic authentification as unsecure.
>
> It starts with Twitter August 16th
>
> The main advantage is, that utilities do not require username and password
> anymore.
>
> Before with basic authentification
>
> Utility A needs my username and password for service X
>
> After oAuto
>
> I tell service X that utility A is allowed to work for me
> Utility A gets a key
>
> I can every time remove the allowence for utility A
> without changing my password.
>
> I can ask service X, to what utilities have I given a permission.

Thanks, that's interesting. I've often had this problem and it sounds like
oauth is a good solution.

--
-jp
Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an