curl-users

Re: curl not completing transfer

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 14:43:49 -0800

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 12:24:31PM -0330, Evan Cooch wrote:
> Semi-newbie, so flame throwers to singe only. ;-)
>
> I'm using curl 7.15.5 (i686-redhat-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.15.5
> OpenSSL/0.9.8b zlib/1.2.3 libidn/0.6.5 under CentOS 5.7, to transfer

That's singe-worthy right there. That release is almost 6 years old.
We've done 31 releases since then.

> a file a colleague develops, and has posted for HTTP access on his
> website. I use the following to transfer the file only if the
> time-stamp on the target machine is more recent than the current
> version on my machine:
>
> /usr/bin/curl -v -Rso /home/username/setup.exe -z setup.exe
> http://colleague machine URL/setup.exe
>
> By and large, this has worked fine, but for some reason now, curl is
> not completing the transfer. It will transfer some fraction of the
> file, and then quit. It quits gracefully (no obvious error message),
> so I'm having a problem figuring out what to look for. I've already
> got -v flagged for verbose information on the transfer, but that
> doesn't give me any indications that have been useful. The fact that
> curl is ending gracefully i actually a problem, since there is no
> outward indication it has 'quit' -- exccept that the setup.exe file
> is incomplete, and won't install.
>
> So,
>
> 1\ any suggestions as to what might be causing curl to stop
> transferring? It does this intermittently, and the size/proportion fo
> the file that does get transferred is variable (i.e., not always a
> constant number of bytes).

The first thing would be to try a newer version of curl and see if the
problem still exists. If it's a curl problem, there's an excellent
chance that it has already been fixed.

> 2\ any extra flag(s) I can pass to curl to help me diagnose the problem?

-v should tell you enough clues about where the problem may be. You didn't
send us the log, so it's hard to speculate about it. You can also try
doing the simplest curl transfer possible (curl URL > file) and see if
that succeeds, or try another program to try to determine if it's a server
bug of some sort.

>>> Dan