curl-users

Re: curl not completing transfer

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 08:38:21 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012, Evan Cooch wrote:

> This is the version supported by Redhat, and CentOS (which is a binary-level
> clone of RHEL). People (like me) use RH, or CentOS, for stability. If you're
> saying that 7.15.5 is broken, then its broken for RHEL 5.x (and clones),
> which I would find surprising, given RH's market share on the 'corporate
> supported' side of GNU/Linux.

Then I consider you surprised. But that won't help anything. Both RHEL and
CentOS are *conservative* above many other virtues so you won't get good and
modern things, you get old and stable (of course this is my subjective
opinion, I'm sure both of those teams will use other ways to desribe their
approaches). curl 7.15.5 is old and stable. But it also has lots of bugs and
quirks we've fixed since then. And truthfully, that's just about how ALL
software you have in those old installations work.

> Again, short of compiling from source, not a simple due. The only version of
> curl in the RHEL/CentOS repos is the one I'm using. I can compile from
> source, but that is general discouraged since that sometimes breaks things.

Why would it break anything? You shouldn't blindly replace what you have but
simply install a new version in parallell as a test just to see if the new
version works or not. After you've tested it you can decide how to proceed,
but I would still recommend you then have them in parallell to avoid a larger
RPM mess.