cURL behavior with streaming server ...

From: kedar mhaswade <>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 10:58:28 -0800

I am testing a HTTP streaming server and trying to understand how streaming
works, which sends the following [1] headers. When cURL receives the
response, as expected, it waits there for some time for the server to send
some more data. I have two questions in this regard:

1- As you can see, there is no Transfer-Encoding: chunked header in the
response. It, as expected, lacks the Content-Length header. Is that the
hint for cURL to assume a streamed data? It's not clear from the Wikipedia
page <> when the
client should assume chunked data to come from server.

2- What is the value of the timeout that cURL uses in this case before
closing the connection? Is that configurable? (My cURL version: curl 7.21.6
(x86_64-pc-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.21.6 OpenSSL/1.0.0e
zlib/ librtmp/2.3)

Best Regards,

[1] Headers received:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK