curl-users

Re: Problem using CURL behind a proxy using proxytunnel option, seemingly a bug has been introduced since version 2.27

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 23:14:23 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 5 Sep 2013, Yuri.VANHAEREN_at_ext.ec.europa.eu wrote:

> * Entry path is '/'
>> PASV
> * Connect data stream passively
> < 227 Entering Passive Mode (195,123,248,70,233,112)
> * Trying 158.169.9.13...
> * Connecting to 195.122.138.70 (158.169.9.13) port 8012
> * Establish HTTP proxy tunnel to 195.122.138.70:59760
> * Proxy auth using Basic with user 'proxyuser'
> * Server auth using Basic with user 'ftpuser'
> * Send failure: Socket is not connected
> * Failed sending CONNECT to proxy
> * Failure sending ABOR command: Failed sending data to the peer
> * Closing connection 0
> curl: (55) Send failure: Socket is not connected

The subject confuses me - there never existed any version 2.27. I assume
you're talking about 7.27.0.

Are you saying that curl 7.32.0 also shows this problem?

> Anyway, I'm assuming you will reach the same conclusion as me, that
> somewhere after version 2.27 and before 2.29 a change was made that breaks
> ftp behind http proxies. Perhaps there are some peculiar things about the
> proxy config here, but I hope you're already aware of the problem. Otherwise
> I think this counts as a new bug?

It could be a new bug. I got lost in the flood of stuff so I'm not sure I got
it all, but you seemed to have said that it worked on some Linux version but
fails somehow with some option combo on Windows?

I don't have any easy way to test this myself so I'd like to get some further
clarification and logs from you.

> PS: yes I read the netiquette, sorry about the HTML but without colours and
> indentation this is barely readable.

I only read text emails. No HTML, no colors. And correct, it wasn't very
readable.

> PS2: It's a different topic, but I would like to add I don't like the dotdot
> removal 'feature' – some of our webservices use multiple dots for other
> reasons then indicating paths and when we use URL rewriting, new curl mashes
> this up.

Then you abuse URLs as we're actually following the spec (now). I'd love to
hear a better motivation to why you use/need this. Perhaps we need a way to
switch it off!