curl-users

Re: server keepalive time out

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 21:56:31 +0100

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 03:25:01PM -0500, frank ernest wrote:
> If the servers keepalive times out (I ask for too may documents,) does curl resume where it left off?

You're confusing three completely different concepts in this single sentence.
The time a server keeps an idle persistent connection alive, which is what I
assume you mean by servers keepalive, has nothing to do with how many documents
that are requested or how much of them have been downloaded. As long as the
client is downloading a resource, no matter how slowly, a server will generally
keep the connection open. There are some people who are stuck on 9600 bps
modems even these days, after all.

If a connection is disrupted, curl will resume a download where it left off
when given the --retry N and -C - options, at least for certain types of
download problems.

>>> Dan