curl-users

Re: curl and fallocate

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 16:20:35 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 22 Jan 2015, Manfred Schwarb wrote:

> Besides the fact that curl does not pre-allocate disk space (which is
> debatable),

I don't think the fact that it doesn't is debatable, that's a fact. The debate
is rather if (or how) we should add the ability.

> Curl does unconditionally truncate zero-sized files even in resume mode,
> which seems illogical to me.

Why? The resume is in the other end. When creating a local file it is rather
ordinary to start with a zero byte file, isn't it?

> May I suggest to not truncate output files in resume mode, in any case?

Unfortunately it feels like a very high likelyhood of breaking people's
scripts and a modified long established behavior. I don't think we can do it
this way.

I think a new option is necessary to make it do this.