curl-users

RE: A small nudge to fix a frequent -X misuse?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 22:57:29 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 31 Aug 2015, John Goebel wrote:

> Although I understand the desire to point out misuse of the -X option, is
> the risk worth the benefit?

I brought it here for discussion and pie-throwing to see what people think and
to learn which parts I hadn't considered. So no, I have not yet decided the
faith of this patch or idea. Maybe it'll just die here. Maybe we can improve
it.

> It seems like this would risk breaking a lot of old scripts.

That should be really low risk, as this warning is only text sent to stderr.
It doesn't actually change behavior.

> It would also confuse a lot of people using an older version of curl because
> their documentation wouldn't explain why they're getting an error.

I'm only suggesting this as perhaps the first step in an effort to guide users
into using curl better. Clearly sending a "warning" about this is a bit too
strong since it (probably) doesn't break anything.

In combination with -L I consider it a warning still...