curl-and-php

Re: PhpMySearch curl problem?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:03:07 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Dragonberry.com wrote:

> I'm working with Peter Padberg at http://web4.hm, the creator of the script
> phpMySearch. For some reason his search doesn't work under my SSL cert. He
> sent me this message:

I'm sorry, but this is confusing me as I know nothing at all about
"phpMySearch". You say "his search doesn't work" ? What does his search doing
when it connects to your site?

> Error in page loading by means curlLib => (51) SSL: certificate subject name
> 'adonis.hmdnsgroup.com' does not match target host name 'georgiawebpro.com'

This says that when connecting with SSL, the server claims to have a
certificate for a site that is not the same as the host name curl connects to.

> Funny thing is - that's *not* the domain name or the server where that
> account is!

What name is not what name? I don't follow you.

> I set up the SSL cert with only email addresses referenced with the
> *correct* domain name.

curl uses the CN (common name) field of the server's certificate. It should
match your site's name, which this says it doesn't.

> Does anyone have any clue how I can troubleshoot this curlLib setting?

You can only get curl to accept this connection by disabling this check, and
then you won't notice man-in-the-middle "attacks".