curl-and-php

Re: http proxy works, socks proxy doesn't... help! :)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 08:58:37 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 andy_cee_at_hush.ai wrote:

> Having great trouble using PHP5/Curl to pull requests through SOCKS proxy.

If you want to use SOCKS, get curl 7.11.1 and no less. We've done fixes to the
SOCKS code very recently.

> <?php
> $ch = curl_init ();
> curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_URL, "http://localhost/");
> curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_TIMEOUT, 60);
> curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, TRUE);
> curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_PROXY, "localhost:1080");
> $result = curl_exec($ch);

This code doesn't tell curl that the proxy is a SOCKS one, and thus it assumes
that the proxy is a HTTP one and that will always fail.

CURLOPT_PROXYTYPE must be set to CURLPROXY_SOCKS5 for socks to work.