curl-and-php

Reverse DNS delays

From: jameadows <jameadows_at_webopolis.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:03:43 -0700

Hello,

When using cURL/PHP I am seeing long delays in fetching some web pages
and the delay seems to be caused by an attempt to do a reverse DNS
lookup which is ultimately timing out. I am also seeing the same
behavior using the command line version of cURL. An example site that
consistently reproduces this problem is http://nytimes.com.

I had suspected that the problem was outside of curl (BIND perhaps), but
when fetching the same pages with a web browser I see no delays, so the
problem may indeed be in the way that cURL is asking for the pages.

So far I haven't found any advice on disabling this behavior though I've
run across a couple of other posts where people have been seeing the
same problem. So if any of youze has run across this problem, and
hopefully a fix for it, I would be most happy to hear about it.

BTW, I am using curl version 7.10.6 running on Fedora Core 1. PHP
version 4.3.3.

Thanks,
Joe Meadows