curl-and-php

Re: Any help with persistent http connections

From: Michael Shuler <michael_at_unixtx.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:59:28 -0500

Sinan wrote:
> michael_at_unixtx.com wrote:
>> The best way to do this would be on the server side - enable
>> persistent connections in the web service configuration. The web
>> server will keep the connection open for however long the timeout is
>> configured, and any subsequent connects from the same remote host will
>> use the same TCP session, as opposed to initiating a new one.
>
> If you mean the web server I am querying against, I cant change the
> config obviously. But if you would mean the web server where my scripts
> are run, then I wish to learn the details about curl configs.

Apologies if that was not clear. The server that you are querying needs
to be configured for persistent http connections, in order for your
client request to keep an open TCP connection for a while. I am not
aware of a method for a client to do this.

You might want to look into the networking side of the problem -
traceroutes, ident lookups, rDNS configs, etc. - what is the "real"
problem with the time in establishing a connection. I work with servers
all over the planet, and do not have problems establishing connections,
other than simple geographic latency, which is tolerable.

Kind Regards,
Michael Shuler