Re: cookies

From: Daniel Stenberg <>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 14:07:58 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Nilsson Johan wrote:

> Does anyone know if libcurl supports the same cookie format as the
> Mozilla browser.

libcurl has no particular support for a "Mozilla" cookie file format. So if
it differs from the one used by netscape 4, it won't work.

> The curl documentation states that Netscape cookies are supported but are
> they the same as Mozilla cookies?

Anyone that runs mozilla can check that out. At the moment I'm stuck on a
windows machine and I have no idea where mozilla puts its cookie file on this
system. I no one else does it, I can check it out tonight on my home box.

I tried to search for this information on, but I got nothing.

If mozilla uses a different format (that makes sense), it would indeed be
interesting to have support for that file format added to libcurl.

> * The user uses Mozilla to surf to a specific site
> * The site sets a cookie in Mozilla
> * The user presses a link to download a file
> * The link is captured (Mozilla will not load the file)
> * The link is then used to tell libcurl to download the file

This also requires that Mozilla updates its cookie file instantly as soon as
it receives a cookie.

  Daniel Stenberg -- curl project maintainer --
Curl-library mailing list