Re: Advise and Information request

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 10:32:50 -0700

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 11:43:04AM -0400, Sinha, Raj (Raj) wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have just started looking into libcurl. I must say its pretty impressive.
>
> I am looking into whether I can use libcurl to develop download managers for
> embedded devices. Do u have any comments and suggestions for me.
>
> Can anyone tell me if they have successfully ported to VxWorks. ( Imagine it
> should be easy since they has been successful ports to Unix)
>
> What about size. how big is would the entire package be for a download manager.
> (with ssl support and without)
>
> Since this is very preliminary design questions, I wouls appreciate any advise.

To give you a rough idea on size, I compiled a simple application on an x86
box that downloads a URL with curl and statically linked it to libcurl. The
resulting size of the application was 126 KiB. That's still dynamically
linked to glibc, libdl, libz, and because I used an SSL-enabled libcurl
it's also dynamically linked to libssl and libcrypto, but it gives you a
rough idea of the overhead. This is a full-featured libcurl with support
for LDAP, gopher, etc. so if you stripped yours down you could likely make it
much smaller.

>>> Dan