Re: [patch] libcurl 7.12.2-20040917 and CURLOPT_VERBOSE may read free()ed data

From: Bertrand Demiddelaer <bdemiddelaer_at_denyall.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:47:56 +0200

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Bertrand Demiddelaer wrote:
>
>>> I fail to understand how that is possible. Unless the connection is
>>> told to get closed, you don't call resolv_unlock() for that dns
>>> entry. Why isn't that entry then remaining locked?
>>

>> That's exactly what I want: a resolv_unlock() call when the connection
>> is closed.
>

> That's what I want too. And that's why I think the resolv_unlock() call
> should be moved to Curl_disconnect() and called unconditionally from
> within it.
>
> Curl_disconnect() is called when the connection is to be disconnected.
> That happens after all requests are done on that connection.
>
> You made the call to resolv_unlock() conditional on a condition that may
> not happen and thus you may not unlock the dns_entry and therefor it
> might be left "locked". Do you agree or disagree with me on this analysis?
>
>> You are right to notice that a side effect of this new behaviour is
>> that entries in dns cache can remain valid longer,
>

> I don't have a problem with the entries being kept longer, I think it
> makes sense to have them kept while there are still live connections
> against the host.
>
>> they finally get pruned when every connection using them is closed.
>

> Only if the final request on that connection gets a "Connection: close",
> which you cannot be sure will happen.
>
> Or am I wrong?

It's ok.

I've been a bit quick with test cases and didn't check the case where
the server could close the socket without telling the client using
"Connection:" header.

Btw, my first attempt to put the code concerning dns cache update in
Curl_done() to Curl_disconnect() (basically copy-paste of the
'Curl_resolv_unlock() .... Curl_hostcache_prune()' section) had lead me
to a infinite hang in test 001 (any ideas on it ?). That was another of
the bad reasons which made me study the current patch.

Thanks for your patience...