Re: Newbie: problem with libraries

From: Lars Nilsson <chamaeleon_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 10:07:50 -0400

On 6/12/07, phiroc_at_free.fr <phiroc_at_free.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just renamed libcurl.dll.a libcurl.lib and crashed my linker.
>

> cd C:\Documents and Settings\xxx\My Documents\WatcomProjects\curltest
> wmake -f "C:\Documents and Settings\xxx\My
> Documents\WatcomProjects\curltest\curltest.mk" -h -e "C:\Documents and
> Settings\xxx\My Documents\WatcomProjects\curltest\curltest.exe"
> wlink name curltest d all SYS nt op m libp lib libf libcurl.lib op maxe=25 op q
> op symf @curltest.lk1
> Error(E14): Cannot execute (wlink): No error
> Error(E42): Last command making (C:\Documents and Settings\xxx\My
> Documents\WatcomProjects\curltest\curltest.exe) returned a bad status
> Error(E02): Make execution terminated
> Execution complete

I imagine Watcom doesn't have the same library format as the Visual
Studio tools. For some reason that I cannot fathom, it seems like
different compiler vendors on Windows have always had incompatible
library formats (static and import libraries), requiring the use of
conversion tools when using a import library generated by a different
compiler, or require generation of a new import library from the dll.
A quick google search tells me the tools you will probably want to use
is wlib.exe, though I might be wrong. How to use it you'll have to
look up in the documentation for your compiler suite (perhaps
"wlib.exe +libcurl.dll libcurl.lib", I don't really know).

Lars Nilsson