Re: [Patches] Remove obsolete definitions in curl.h

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:47:54 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010, Julien Chaffraix wrote:

> with the upcoming 7.20.0 major release, I thought removing obsolete entries
> in curl.h was a good idea. So here is a round at removing some old defines
> in curl.h.

Thanks.

Well. Yeah, I do like the idea, but I'm not so sure we should be doing it
unless there's also a soname bump or something involved. As even though the
obsolete entries have been obsoleted for a long while, I really don't like the
idea of apps no longer compiling when we don't intend to break the API in any
way. (And the times we've done that in the past, we've gotten some heat for
it.)

So, I would rather instead play it more safe and make sure that the obsolete
symbols are all within #ifndef CURL_NO_OLDIES sections so that apps that want
to make sure they are not relying on old symbols can define CURL_NO_OLDIES.

But of course I still want the documentation to be correct and refer to the
current names (primarily at least).

The "curl_passwd_callback" you remove in your 6- patch is a case of something
that was removed already in our last soname bump so I'll apply that at once.