A library-agnostic TLS API?

From: Daniel Stenberg <>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 10:14:01 +0100 (CET)

Hi friends,

After my talk at Fosdem I got some questions and there were voices raised
regarding our unified internal API for SSL/TLS libraries. There seems to be at
least some interest from other parties to be able to re-use it in other

I know that maintaining and offering a library with a stable API/ABI,
documentation and more is a lot of work, but I'm still curious to hear if
there are others around here who would be interested in seeing such a
development? (and of course possibly participate in making it happen)

A benefit for libcurl could be that we'd get a few more hands involved in
polishing the code for various TLS libraries. The benefit for others would be
that it would be easier for them to support a multitude of TLS libraries.

After all, the "pick your TLS library" game is widely played out there.

I wouldn't be surprised if anyone else have tried something similar already so
if anyone knows about something like this, it could be worth investigating to
see what lessons there are to learn!

List admin: