Re: hotmail users may need to resubscribe

From: William Betts <william.betts_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 15:56:07 -0700

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:

> Hi friends,
>
> A couple of days ago our (haxx.se's) main mail server was added to a
> Microsoft blacklist used by Hotmail, MSN, live.com and possibly others
> (apparently since some users claimed they got unwanted mail content via our
> server). This caused mails sent to people using these services from our
> mailing lists to bounce, and subsequently our mailing list software would
> automatically remove these users from the mailing list(s) due to excessive
> bouncing.
>
> We have since then gotten removed from this list and thus operations are
> back to the previous state, but the unsubscriptions have already happen and
> I'm writing this email just to make this accident public knowledge as these
> users will need to resubscribe themselves again if they truly want to be
> subscribed.
>
> I'm sorry for this inconvenience but I truly don't know of any wrong-doing
> on our behalf. Things should now be back in order and functionality again.
>
> --
>
> / daniel.haxx.se

You didn't do anything wrong (we're clearly not spammers). The users who
marked the list as spam did something wrong. The filters by the ISPs can't
tell the difference between someone using the spam button as a way to
delete email and legitimate spam. They are after all just algorithms. I
have had welcome emails and receipts marked as spam that caused the company
the exact same problem. Then the same users got mad when they couldn't
receive their tracking information from us.

If you can get enrolled in their SNDS program and their Junk Mail Reporting
Program. It would also be in the lists best interest to get on all of the
FBL programs from the various major ISPs. I know Yahoo!, Aol, and Hotmail
(Live) provide them. I'm not sure about the various cable ISPs. It would
also be advised to add a token in to the header of each email sent out so
when you get a report you can unsubscribe the user. If they're click spam
on the mailing list there's no point in having them around damaging the
reputation of the curl mailing list.

I remember reading some where that a couple of the major webmail providers
(I think gmail and hotmail) allow something like x-unsubscribe. If you
provide this header it will some how unsubscribe the user from the mailing
list instead of damaging your reputation. I think it's something like
x-unsubscribe: http://path to unsubscribe.

Best Regards,
William