Re: configure test for _AIX false positive.

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 15:32:47 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 7 Jan 2013, John E. Malmberg wrote:

>> Then it isn't really a *false* positive since it was provoked by your
>> special treatment, right?
>
> It indicates that the testing method of searching for strings in compiler
> listing output does not work for all compiler settings and may be indicating
> incorrectly on other platforms besides VMS.

Sorry, but I disagree with this conclusion.

The method of using #ifdefs and similar in test programs within configure is
an established testing method since a very long time ago. If configure would
fail on its own like this then it would be a problem worth adressing. If it
fails due to your special configuration of the compiler then the fault is
yours and you should rather fix your config. Configure cannot be assumed to
blindly work whatever curve ball you throw at it, there's only so much it can
do.

> I suppose that now that the issue is known, I can file a ticket with the
> autoconf project and see if they care.

I'm convinced they will react similar to me. I don't think this is an issue
for them.