Re: Errors/crashes with FTP using multi interface?

From: Sam Deane <sam_at_elegantchaos.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 14:17:27 +0000

Hi Nick,

Apologies if this reply breaks the thread - I forgot that I had email delivery turned off for this list, so I've just seen your reply, and don't have an actual mail to reply to.

> > I believe that I have the threading set up correctly.
>
> You believe you do. Can you confirm that? Our app doesn't use multi handles, but it uses multiple easy handles at once, each protected by locks, with no problems.

Well, it's hard to prove a negative, but I don't believe I've messed up the protection.

All access to the multi is protected by a serial CGD queue, meaning that although curl_multi routines may be called from different threads, we're guaranteed that only one thread will ever access it at one time.

I have a number of debugging checks and assertions which seem to confirm that this is working correctly.

> Also, is this happening in the code in the trunk, or in a released version, or in Apple's shared libcurl library? If it's anything but the trunk, can you build the trunk and test that? There has been a lot of changes in the trunk since the last point release of libcurl.

We built the library ourselves, and it was in the latest release version (although I think a newer one has just been released).

We did try the trunk, but ran into some other problems with that - instead of getting "server did not report OK" errors, we were getting stalls instead where an upload/download simply failed to finish. This prevented us from confirming whether the crash was still there.

I'm not working on the code this week (it's a contracting job), but I'll look at it again next week, with the latest release version and/or the trunk version.

Cheers,

- Sam -

sam deane / @samdeane | elegantchaos.com / @elegantchaoscom | mac and ios software development