Re: Make/Install on BSD

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 09:55:41 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013, Igor Korot wrote:

> As in Windows, *nix systems also have $PATH environment variable and do
> follow the "standard" way of looking for the dynamically linked libraries.
>
> The way to see it in *nix is:
>
> set | grep PATH
>
> which will display the value of $PATH environment variables.

Yes, but $PATH is not used to find dynamically linked libraries on *nix
systems. Instead, you should try "man ld.so" and read up how the dynamic
linker works and how it finds shared libraries.

Most *nix systems support LD_LIBRARY_PATH to specify a list of directories to
scan, but for example Linux discourage the use of that and instead favors
/etc/ld.so.conf (see "man ldconfig").

Now you say "BSD" which is a family of OSes rather than a specific one so I
don't know exactly how your system works, but I'm not mistaking I believe
FreeBSD features and uses ldconfig.

All this said, all BSD systems I know of provide curl and libcurl packages
already so you should be able to instll them and get the libraries installed
in the system default places and then everything should work fine with just ld
-L and no -l needed.