curl-and-php

RE: Slow cURL Posts, but browser posts fine

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 08:26:39 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Matt Babineau wrote:

> It also sometimes responds with error #52.

Getting error 52 indicates problem with the server or the connection to it. A
HTTP(S) should *always* return something, and this is returned when it
didn't.

> Ok, I'll try a newer version and let ya know what I get. I found a problem
> similar to mine in the forums and they suggested to use these curl_opts:
>
> curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYPEER, 0);
> curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST, 0);

Correct, if you don't care for peer certificate verification, this is the
way.

> I am on windows too. Are the performance hits significant?

At least people have reported them and setting another upload buffer size
seemed to fix the problems. It turned out the Windows select() call becomes
slow with some odd sizes on the buffer.

See this old curl-library posting by Richard Bramante:
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2002-12/0079.html

> My debug output tells me that cURL runs for 10+ seconds as a total_time
> variable. Sometimes it even goes until it hits my timeout period. Is that
> the performance hit you are seeing?

I don't think it should behave like that, no. I don't think the performance
hit I'm talking about is *that* bad.