curl-and-php

Re: cURL POST too slow

From: Michael Shuler <michael_at_unixtx.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 07:20:02 -0600

chad_at_buglogic.com wrote:
> I've looked in my php error logs and my regular error and access logs and i
> don't see anything pertaining to my issue.

Which suggests that cURL is not the issue, and likely some other force
is at work. If this was an issue with cURL, then you would likely get
errors, and the process would never complete.

> any more advice?? any methods to track down the bottleneck or issue??

Yes - as previously suggested, look into the networking aspects of your
connection. DNS setups, ping groups, traceroutes - basic network
troubleshooting. It would be very helpful if your gateway folks could
help with the same testing back to your server.

This kind of hang, then the process completes, sounds mysteriously like
DNS problems... or high load on the gateway machines, and your request
queues up before being processed.

> i'm connecting with a viaklix gateway.

Hmmm, they do not have valid reverse DNS records set up - you posted the
host www2.viaklix.com in your first post. If your server is trying to
resolve the reverse from this box, then this will cause a hang for a bit:

michael_at_gaea michael $ host www2.viaklix.com
www2.viaklix.com has address 198.203.192.228
www2.viaklix.com has address 198.203.191.101
michael_at_gaea michael $ host 198.203.192.228 <- hangs
michael_at_gaea michael $ host 198.203.191.101 <- hangs
Host 101.191.203.198.in-addr.arpa not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Do the same for your own domain/IP - check that you have proper DNS
entries configured. My guess is that you may not either, so both
machines may be trying to resolve reverse lookups, and the process
finally completes after the lookups fail. Also, look at your apache
config and make sure you have 'HostnameLookups Off' - if you are logging
the hostname of IP addresses accessing your server (via rDNS), then
there is your hang.

Since this truly does not appear to be a cURL issue, I would also
suggest that you contact your application service provider - they may
have some helpful suggestions - it's their gateway, and I'm sure they
have heard of this kind of problem before.

Kind Regards,
Michael Shuler - michael_at_unixtx.com
UNIX Administration Solutions - http://unixtx.com/