Re: SIGSERV with --enable-ares

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 21:47:58 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007, VOROSKOI Andras wrote:

> This was my original letter to curl-users, but Daniel Stenberg said i should
> send it here. He also said that 0x0 is not a valid easy handle, but the
> segfault should be fixed anyway.

That's not necessarily so. The app passes an illegal handle to libcurl and it
uses it under the assumption that it is fine.

Sure, GOOD_EASY_HANDLE() could be modified to check for NULL as well but we
cannot ever protect libcurl from when garbage is passed in.

> Btw rtorrent works fine with curl 7.15.5 compiled without c-ares support, so
> here must be some problem with curl/c-ares too.

Why not start with figuring out why rtorrent passes a NULL to the add handle
function? It certainly proves that rtorrent is not behaving nicely. It
shouldn't do it and it should probably already have bailed out earlier when a
libcurl function returned NULL (or similar).