Re: NSS support quirks

From: Jean-Marc Desperrier <jmdesp_at_free.fr>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 17:24:08 +0200

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> [...]
> - NSS doesn't seem to have any proper "home" on the internet so I can't
> find what the most recent version is or what the recent changes to it have been.

 From the home page http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/pki/nss/
you get fairly rapidly get to here :
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/security/nss/releases/
where you can see all the official releases.

For recent changes, go here (it should be referred from the home page):
http://wiki.mozilla.org/NSS:Roadmap

> - I can't find any proper documentation for the functions libcurl uses.
> [...]
> - I run a fairly updated Debian Unstable and I have NSS version 3.12
> installed I believe. configure detects and enables NSS for the build, but
> I seem to lack several functions and the linking fails.

NSS 3.12 is not an official release as can be seen on the ftp directory
where the most recent one is NSS_3_11_9_RTM (Feb 2008).

Now, as Firefox 3 needed some of the features only NSS 3.12 offers (for
EV support), the official version that's released next week includes a
pre-release version of NSS 3.12 (maybe that version will even become the
official NSS 3.12 later, I don't know).

And as Debian Unstable includes a RC of Firefox 3, it also includes that
version of NSS.

> Can anyone help me out with these problems of mine? What NSS version
> should I use? Where do I find it?

Use either 3.11.9, or the pre release of NSS 3.12 from Firefox.
The pre-realease is only tested in the context of Firefox though, even
if it should be sufficient to pretty well test it.