RE: Curl 7.19.6 CMakeLists.txt patch

From: Gary Maxwell <gmaxwell_at_casabi.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 14:24:34 -0700

Daniel Stenberg wrote on Friday, October 30, 2009 1:49 PM

> On Sun, 18 Oct 2009, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>
> > Is there any CMake hacker around who's willing to act on patches
such
> as
> > this?
>
> So, after two weeks with silence. Is there now anyone who wants to
> discuss
> again why I'm hesitant to accept new build concepts into the main
> sources?

As one who was skeptical during the last go-around with CMake advocates,
I'm not surprised now.

And here's where things stand:
        - CMake builds are now broken again
        - Some time from now, someone will try to use them, and then
complain to the list when they don't work.
        - You will explain the situation, and maybe someone will come
forward again to perform a one-time fix.
        - Some time later, repeat this loop (this seems to happen every
two years or so).

As a defensive programmer, I'm against "while (1)" loops, either in code
or in development processes. My recommendation would be to remove the
CMake files and bits, document that CMake will not be supported going
forward, and then let's move on.

GaryM at Casabi