Question about DNS timeout in libCurl

From: Dmitry Karpov via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 22:22:40 +0000

Hi Daniel,

I have a question related to the discussion below.
While parallel query requests in c-ares are not there yet, I am wondering if it is possible to control DNS timeout or expose such control via curl handle options in the future?
I noticed that libcurl always uses the default c-ares timeout value,
which is 5s, and happy eyeball DNS timeout also relies on that value by hard coding it in the HAPPY_EYEBALLS_DNS_TIMEOUT constant, but in some cases, 5s may be a too long wait before switching to a different name server.

I also noticed that the older c-ares versions used some random values and the actual timeouts were less 5s, which allowed to skip over bad name servers faster than the latest c-ares versions, which have precise 5s.
Because currently there is no such option on the surface, and probably modifying libcurl and c-ares code and changing the default values is the only option to have DNS timeouts less than 5s, I am wondering, if you think that doing such changes will be a very risky change even as a short-term solution?

 Thanks,
 Dmitry Karpov