curl-users

Re: can't build 7.1 without SSL

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 10:39:43 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Troy Engel wrote:

> Blllaaaahhh. Ok, I give up -- I fought this this morning, and continued
> when I got home from work - can't seem to build curl --without-ssl now.
> Configure indicates it's disabling SSL, and config.h doesn't have any of
> the HAVE_SSL stuff defined, so we're fine there.
>
> I've watched the compiler output religiously, and nothing is appearing to
> be out of order -- there's no explicit -lssl or -lcrypto anywhere, I
> captured my make output and grepped it.

So what exactly goes wrong? I tried --without-ssl on my solaris box here and
when I do ldd on my final executable it doesn't show any ssl or crypto libs,
https doesn't work and it runs other URLs...

> So, what's the deal? It appears that lib/setup.h check for USE_SSLEAY
> must be sneaking through, *or* somewhere in the process is a weirdo
> implicit link to the SSL libraries or something. Help, I'm going crazy
> trying to find it!

Hm, I'll get a package over to a linux machine soon and try this myself.

> PS: should we package libcurl and curl seperately? hardly seems worth
> it, but....[shrug]. I'm already making a new -devel package with that
> stuff.

It has been mentioned before, and I have given it some thoughts. I really
can't see any major benefits in doing that. The package really is 95% libcurl
code, curl is nothing without libcurl and the majority of all the people that
get the package wants curl and aren't even aware of libcurl...

Or does anyone else have any other opinion?

--
      Daniel Stenberg - http://daniel.haxx.se - +46-705-44 31 77