curl-users

Re: New to cURL

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 11:26:07 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Claude Cormier wrote:

> I must admit that I am new to Unix... so you say 'make install', I can
> only guess that it is sort of a compilation process.

Yes. You assume correctly. Although there might of course exist a binary
package for your targeted platform, I have no idea how you install using
that. You didn't mention which platform you use.

> What is the prefered directory structure to complete the installation.

The source-code release allows you specify the "root dir" of the
installation, which defaults to /usr/local. If you instead want to install
all the curl files in your home directory, you run configure with the
parameter '--prefix=$HOME'.

> Would a sub-directory named /cgi-bin/curl in the /cgi-bin directory be
> the best set up ?

I doubt that you want to call curl straight from the web server as a CGI.
Your scripts may want to use curl, but then the scripts should be in /cgi-bin
and the curl executable simply somewhere in the PATH.

You might need to consult a local sysadmin to get all this correct.

--
      Daniel Stenberg - http://daniel.haxx.se - +46-705-44 31 77