curl-users

Re: Couldn't resolv host on HP-UX

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 17:48:23 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Fred Noz wrote:

> I am finding this bug when running on HP-UX 10.20 and HP-UX 11 (works
> OK on Linux) using latest curl (Aug. 16, 2000) (OK on 6.5.2):
> On a system where DNS is used for host name resolution, the command
> line:
> curl http://xx.yy.zz.com/
> results in the error message:
> curl: (6) Couldn't resolv host 'xx.yy.zz.com'

I have reason to believe that this problem is similar to the one I corrected
before. I'm sorry I took for granted that my previous fix would correct this
as well.

The name resolving is changed in curl 7 to use the gethostbyname_r()
function, as opposed to the gethostbyname() in curl 6. One major problem I
have with gethostbyname_r() is that there exists at least three different
ways to use it, depending on what platform you use.

The configure script detects gethostbyname_r() and tries to determine how
many arguments *your* version of gethostbyname_r() should have.

Could you please check how many arguments it thinks your gethostbyname_r()
should get?

Then, would you be capable of single-stepping the GetHost() function to see
when it fails or try some alternatives until it works?

--
      Daniel Stenberg - http://daniel.haxx.se - +46-705-44 31 77