curl-users

Re: Problems with file://

From: Lars J. Aas <larsa_at_sim.no>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 16:47:15 +0200

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 04:31:33PM +0200, Stenberg Björn wrote:
: > I think the file-type URL spec says you must write
: > "file://localhost/..." (or a hostname instead of
: > localhost).
:
: It shouldn't look up the name anyway, IMO. The file:// protocol should work
: even on computers with no network.

With "localhost", no name lookup should be necessary, but you can actually
get files from remote computers through file: URLs. I assume the same
technique as rcp and scp is using should be used. I doubt this is implemented
in curl though, but it could happen in the future. Anyways, the important
thing is to remember that it is an URL, and all URLs have hostname before
pathname - "forgetting" it is a mistake and should not work.

  Lars J