curl-users

Re: Suggestion: Standards violation warnings

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:55:26 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 17 Dec 2000, Björn Stenberg wrote:

> With many obscure standard violations occuring by servers and web page
> authors being gracefully handled by curl, wouldn't it be a good idea to
> at least print a warning when these are encountered?

I agree that is a good idea. However, I think it is virtually impossible to
implement, because of various reasons. I think the two biggest are:

* Some things aren't very standardized. Like cookies. There isn't a single
  site or browser that follows the RFC 2109 or the recently posted RFC 2965.
  The 'standard' would in that case be the Netscape cookie spec which feels
  bad.

* The parsers for various things are written to accept standard violations.
  It would be really tricky to add code that detects when the input is not
  following standards.