curl-users

Re: RE: RE: HTTPS PUT

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 08:29:17 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Kevin P Roth wrote:

> I would imagine you'd need to actually get a network trace (capture,
> whatever) to see what's going on. The logs from the web server couldn't
> be expected to show details at this low a level. Only problem is, the
> traffic is encrypted, so it's pretty difficult to get a network trace!

Indeed. It is usually more or less useless to do any network tracing when
playing SSL.

> Daniel: is there any chance curl (or libcurl) could somehow implement a
> network trace feature of its own, in which all data going between libcurl
> and the network-related C functions could be trapped and recorded?

That would of course be very easy to add. All network traffic is sent and
received using the same two functions all over the curl source code.

It would indeed be an interesting option to make a little filter that stores
a network trace in a file in some kind of useful format.

> I suppose this would also have to implemented in libssl?

We would probably need to put that layer after the SSL layer so that we can
store the plain-text that we read/write.

> Or perhaps do the C network functions themselves offer this capability
> that you could tap into?

Not really. And certainly not if you wanna see the unencrypted data that is
sent encrypted with SSL.

> This wouldn't be perfect, as it might not capture issues with DNS, ACKs
> and RESETs, etc very well, but it would be better than nothing...

Any taker on implementing this?