curl-users

FTP URL bugs

From: David Balazic <david.balazic_at_uni-mb.si>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 19:30:25 +0200

Hi!

I tested some URL handling programs for RFC-1738 compliance,
including curl-7.9.8-5 ( the one shipped with red hat linux 9,
not the newest version, I know , but the curl changelogs do not
suggest any big change in this area ).

While curl was one of the best, it still failed 19 test out
of 54 test cases.

For testing I used the command line :

curl -g -O $URL

The failed URLs ( with a short comment ) were :
  ( you can not access the files, I changed the password
    and the other site is intranet only )
  ( most errors are either with directory handling or ASCII/BINARY
    conversion )

ftp://uel003r2a:333qwe@rcum.uni-mb.si/WWW//david.sig
 ( FTP command CWD with no parameter not handled )

ftp://uel003r2a:333qwe@rcum.uni-mb.si/%5buel003r2a%5d/%5b.WWW%5d/NDA.PNG

ftp://uel003r2a:333qwe@rcum.uni-mb.si/$el_a%3a[uel003r2a]/WWW/NDA.PNG

ftp://uel003r2a:333qwe@rcum.uni-mb.si/$el_a%3a[000000]/uel003r2a/WWW/NDA.PNG

ftp://uel003r2a:333qwe@rcum.uni-mb.si/[-]/uel003r2a/stuff/[-]/www/NDA.PNG

ftp://uel003r2a:333qwe@rcum.uni-mb.si/[-]/uel003r2a/stuff/[-]/[.www]/NDA.PNG

ftp://uel003r2a:333qwe@rcum.uni-mb.si/$el_a%3a[000000]/uel003r2a/STUFF/../WWW/NDA.PNG

ftp://uel003r2a:333qwe@rcum.uni-mb.si/$el_a%3a[000000]/uel003r2a/STUFF/[-.WWW]/NDA.PNG

ftp://uel003r2a:333qwe@rcum.uni-mb.si/$el_a%3a[000000]/uel003r2a/STUFF/[-.WWW]NDA.PNG

ftp://uel003r2a:333qwe@rcum.uni-mb.si/$el_a%3a[000000]/uel003r2a/STUFF/[uel003r2a.WWW]/NDA.PNG

ftp://uel003r2a:333qwe@rcum.uni-mb.si/$el_a%3a[000000]/uel003r2a/STUFF/[uel003r2a.WWW]NDA.PNG

ftp://uel003r2a:333qwe@rcum.uni-mb.si/[UEL008R2A]/WWW/JAZ.JPG

ftp://uel003r2a:333qwe@rcum.uni-mb.si/UMB1%3a%3aSYS$SPECIFIC%3a[FAL$SERVER]NETSERVER.LOG;type=a
  (downloaded file has CR+LF instead of LF ; manual /bin/ftp downloads
OK)

ftp://uel003r2a:333qwe@rcum.uni-mb.si/UMB1%3a%3a/SYS$SPECIFIC%3a/[FAL$SERVER]/NETSERVER.LOG

ftp://uel003r2a:333qwe@rcum.uni-mb.si/test/testfile_upasc.txt
  (downloaded file has all content in one line , no CR or LF)

ftp://uel003r2a:333qwe@rcum.uni-mb.si/test/testfile_upasc.txt;type=a
 (downloaded file is wrong ( has CR+LF instead of LF only ))

ftp://uel003r2a:333qwe@rcum.uni-mb.si/test/TESTFILE_UPASC.X4R3;type=a
  (downloaded file is wrong ( has CR+LF instead of LF only ))

ftp://stein:test12@naomi/te1//test.txt
( again FTP command CWD with no parameter not handled )

ftp://stein:test12@naomi/te1/%2ftmp/tmp1.txt
  (wrong handling of CWD /tmp)

The complete table of tests I have done is at
http://rcum.uni-mb.si/~uel003r2a/ftp_url_test.html

it includes some HTML comments, so look at its source.

If not instructed otherwise, I will report this bug(s) to the
sf.net bugtracker system.

P.S.: the other programs I tested :
mozilla-1.2.1-26 lynx-2.8.5-11 wget-1.8.2-9 curl-7.9.8-5 "MS IE
6.0/w2k" "Netscape 4.8/w2k"

IE is the worst :-)

--
David Balazic