curl-users

Re: Failing to Initialize: exit code 2

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 23:06:46 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Hans H. Anderson wrote:

> I am trying to run an automatic upload of a text file and keep getting exit
> code 2, "Failed to Initialize". I can't figure out why it is doing this.
> Any ideas?
>
> curl --user "user:passwd" -T FILE ftp://ftp.host.net/FILE.txt
>
> The "user" (username) has a % in it (not by choice, it was assigned).
> Would that matter?

I can't see that it matters. I don't think names with % cause problems...

In fact, when I try a similar command line I don't get the same problem
(using the latest dev version):

$ curl -v --user "hej%lo:foobar" -T README ftp://localhost/tmp/junk
* About to connect() to localhost:21
* Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1) port 21
< 220 localhost.localdomain FTP server
> USER hej%lo
< 331 Password required for hej%lo.
> PASS foobar
< 530 Login incorrect.
* the username and/or the password are incorrect
* Closing connection #0
curl: (10) the username and/or the password are incorrect

> Using curl v 7.10.4, but this happens with other versions, too. Also, it
> never seems to give me problems when I run it attended, just when on cron.
> Using it on a RH 2.4.9-6 system.

Can you show us what -v says? (edit out sensitive info)