curl-users

Re: Curl leaving lots of Apache threads around - why?

From: Michael Shuler <michael_at_unixtx.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 03:00:50 -0500

Fletcher Cocquyt wrote:

> We employ curl (curl 7.10.4 (sparc-sun-solaris2.9) libcurl/7.10.4
> OpenSSL/0.9.7a zlib/1.1.4
>
> ) heavily to monitor our different webapps (apache 2.0.48 + tomcat 4.1.30)
>

> I run the script every 5 minutes and graph the latency in cacti.

I agree with Daniel's reply - I would suggest looking at your underlying
code - this is not likely to be a problem with curl, itself, but
whatever code you have wrapped your curl command in. This sounds highly
familiar with just about every other resource-absorbing Java
implementation I have worked on... It needs much, much work on
optimization to be anything close to scalable. The same command, using
curl from the command line, gives me the page, time, and exits immediately.

michael_at_gaea 02:59:06 ~ $ time curl -s -netrc-optional -k -m 25 -i
http://aesop.pbandjelly.org/~michael/
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 07:59:20 GMT
Server: Apache
Last-Modified: Fri, 14 May 2004 17:32:38 GMT
ETag: "8bdd4e-8c-40a502b6"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

Hi! Looking for the mirrors?<br><br>

real 0m0.106s