curl-users

Re: how to automate signup

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 09:55:36 -0800

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:28:01AM -0800, xinyang qian wrote:
> A signup with multiple forms, how can I use curl N
> times in getting this signup process automated ? I
> tried -F options (with form data), but 2nd curl always
> return the 1st page, something missing ? the website
> is @ http://www.mac.com, help is appreciated.

Chances are the web site is using hidden form values or cookies as a way to
maintain state between forms. Make sure you're taking both into
consideration. There might even be some funky Javascript involved, too, which
you'd need to reverse engineer. Compare the output of curl --trace-ascii
with the output of a web browser (e.g. using LiveHTTPHeaders in Firefox) to
make sure they both look the same.

>>> Dan