curl-users

Re: curl 7.16.1: socks5 seems not to work

From: Manfred Schwarb <manfred99_at_gmx.ch>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 09:37:17 +0100

> On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, Manfred Schwarb wrote:
> > I just tried your new version. When using a socks5 proxy, it simply seems
> > not to work, it does not connect to the proxy:
>
> So, we've broken the socks5 proxy sometime during the last few releases. Since
> you've found a version that works, how about working on getting the current
> code to behave more like it used to back then?

Hey, don't shoot the messenger.
Probably I'm quite an idiot. I'm trying a new version of curl instead
of just sticking to the old one which works perfectly.

Nevertheless, I narrowed it down to a double break:
- Version 7.15.5 works.
- Version 7.16.0 gives:
* About to connect() to proxy localhost port 9050 (#0)
* Trying 127.0.0.1... connected
* Can't complete SOCKS5 connection to 0.0.0.0:0. (1)
* Connected to www.google.com (127.0.0.1) port 9050 (#0)
* Empty reply from server
* Connection #0 to host www.google.com left intact
curl: (52) Can't complete SOCKS5 connection to 0.0.0.0:0. (1)

I.e. it tries an connection to the proxy, but fails.

- Version 7.16.1 does not even try to make a connection to the proxy.

> Personally, I have no socks5 proxy to test with and there are no socks5 test
> cases in our test suite.

Well, it's very easy, just 5 minute's work. Use tor (tor.eff.org), you
can access it with socks4, socks4A and socks5.
Just launch the program "tor" as client, no server mode needed, run it to listen
on e.g. port 9050, and then use curl to connect to it.

Regards,
Manfred